Here is the first picture of my ma project.
It's a Silver print 12x16 printed in Ilford Warmtone semi-mate fiber.
The process is long:
First the print is developed and fix in normal developer (used the ilford multigrade): usually about 3,5' development time.
After that followed by a tonning on selenium 9+1 for 12 minutes (if you manage to maintain it a around 25-30C..is even better..he he he).
The trick here was, instead of coffee (with I found that "may" fade after 50 years..he he he), I tried a tonning/dye from Photospeed called Antique dye. The result is pretty good, but they came in small bottles (£7 each!) and they get exausted quite quick...after 5x 12x16 fiber , the tonning time is already around 12'. Anyway, the result looks really old, but without the "yellow/tan from the coffee.
-After it follows the first layer of photospeed water based ink (I add 50% of acetic acid to increase the contrast).
- I am not using marshall's oil.Just switched do normal oil based inks.
- Than the "esbater". Technica learned with the master Julio
Than comes the first aging varnish + cracking:
Trick: 2' at 50C in the oven (open!) is perfect. This makes big cracks.
+ black patina.
The trick here is doing a second cracking:
As the wheater here is weat, after 4 days the varnish is not total solid.
Have a look and old masters paints: the crack is not always black/dark...sometimes is light grey, like the ones you get now.
In the end, a thin layer of santin varnish, just to broke the shine of the cracking varnish.